Robert Le Kyng School opened in 1987, replacing a school that had been on the site since 1883.
It was built on land which was originally a Victorian rubbish tip. At that time the school had ten classrooms, but has since been expanded to 16 classrooms with other rooms for The Snug and staff room.
The school replaced Clifton Infants, Clifton Junior and Westcott Infants School, with some staff as well as children transferring from the original schools.
There are several theories as to who Robert Le Kyng was, but most agree that he was a local landowner in the area.